United Fan View | Barney from Red News
We have been catching up with Barney, Red News editor and lifelong red
Barney talks through his history watching United, the importance of fanzines and so much more
When was your first match?
New RedNews fanzine out. Read it. Then get writing with great stories. App New/back issues itunes.apple.com/gb/app/red-n... Kindle amzn.to/4iDVplW Print/PDF sub rednews.bigcartel.com/product/red-... PDF rednews.bigcartel.com/product/pdf-... PRINT singles rednews.bigcartel.com/product/prin...
— RedNews (@rednews.bsky.social) 1 September 2026 at 17:41
[image or embed]
So I am writing this just a few days away from my 50th year attending Old Trafford. 4th September 1976. United, typical, drama in losing 3-2 after leading Spurs 2-0.
Being absolutely captivated as much by the swaying mass of the Stretford End as anything. And it may read daft, but probably not to many reading this; I completely fell in love. I’m lucky I know to have been able to go for the 50 years since. The club weren’t very appreciative of fans back then - and it seems to get even worse now. But I love the MUFC fan culture and what was there that first day; families, community, legacies, remains. But the game as we know has changed so much, and not much for the better. But I’ve had the time of my life.
Tell us about the start of Red News, what was the "fan culture" like at the time?
Again, it was all so raw but the treatment, in terms of physical say rather than digital now, was awful; from authorities, police. We needed a voice and then the wave of fanzines came. About 10 had started across the country but none at United so my Mum, an ardent match goer said we have to do one; United leads, it does not follow. The rest is history. A lot of the issues - fan treatment - have never gone away sadly, they have just changed.
How important do you think fanzines still are?
Of course I’d say vital. Yes it’s all changed and people get their Utd fix from so many alternatives. But there’s a hell of a lot of noise, not always good, not always by Reds, and we all spend way too much time doom scrolling so there’s something to be said for sitting down and reading just other fans.
![]() |
| Original image from Red News Twitter |
I don’t know what they are going to write, or send in, and neither would you - there’s something very old school but great in what a fanzine can still offer and fight for. I always have and always will believe in our match day culture.
What is the best thing about selling the fanzine?
Just meeting people. Seeing all that happens on a match day as it builds up early. You get to see so much! And the community that is still there; families. What United means to people. And again gets ignored by the powerful.
And the worst?
The rain. Oh the bl**dy rain.
What do you think of the current atmosphere at Old Trafford?
TRA have made it much better and on certain days, Lyon, city, Scouse Cup, it is the thing of old. But it’s a massive issue that needs addressing, working on. Real club-fan contact rather than the sporadic stuff we see now.
Are you in favour of the new ground? (For context, we get a lot of readers who message us saying they don't want to leave OT)
No. And that will be my end as a Season Ticket holder. I will still go with my boy but I know visiting other new moved grounds that it’s not the same and everything changes from that point in. It will be my time to say thanks for the memories. It’ll be the right time for me. I just know I’ll sit in the new place, be offered popcorn and a robot offering me a beer and cry so what’s the point!
We know they don’t want us; tourist bucks count, so with good grace I will know like everything in life, it changes, not always for the better as I said, and I will remain with United as my life as it always has been, but my way of doing it will reflect that Old Trafford always was home for me. Many won’t agree with me I know, mates don’t, but I’ve debated this now for nearly two years and know it’s the right decision for me.
How long have you been sat/stood in K Stand?
Since 1989. Was LMTB at first In the 80s but a group of us - six, imagine that now, were offered six together row 10, same seat I am now, two of us remain, sadly my dear mate Rob no longer with us and missed. We drank together, did very silly things together and had the time of our lives arriving at K Stand in its prime and seeing United becoming very good. What a journey. The lovely aspect of our bit is so many are still the same, been there years, so we have a great lot around each other. What I would give for one more match day in say 92/93!
What's been your favourite memory in this part of the ground?
The 3-1 win over the Scousers the season before we were in there as well. Happy New Year. The Sheffield Wednesday come back 92/93. And the roar at full time vs Barca ’08. K Stand on its day. Nowhere better!
What are your hopes for the season? Can we push on under Carrick and maybe challenge for the big trophies?
I bl**dy hope so. We’ve all had enough of United doing that shit one step forwards, two back. But most importantly of all United need to give their heads a wobble and totally recalibrate their relationship with match goers, and I don’t mean hospitality!
Enjoy the season Reds!
Nice last 60 minutes. Enjoyable 2nd half. After 1st half wobble. That rain at end madness. Bruno, wow. Bruno. So many got into the game and found a higher level. Needed that. Utd, stop treating fans like shite. Lovely to see so many people. Sold out for today.More mags Derby Day.
— RedNews (@rednews.bsky.social) 30 August 2026 at 19:51
We want to hear from you now
Message us on Twitter! We want to see all your thoughts on the greatest football club in the world.


Comments
Post a Comment