United Fan View | Peter Shaw reflects on his time watching MUFC
The past, present and future of watching Manchester United
Peter Shaw explains why he loves United and why he's concerned about the future
![]() |
| One of Peter Shaw's favourite United matches Sheffield Wednesday at home in 1993 |
When was your first match?
Liverpool on New Years Day 1989 . A mad one to start with and I was hooked from then onwards.
What do you think of the current atmosphere at Old Trafford?
TRA had made it much better and on certain days, Lyon, city in January 2025, Liverpool in the FA Cup. When those lads and lasses withdrew those flags in protest against Ratcliffe and the club's insane ticket policies, you could see the atmosphere suffered pre match.
Are you in favour of the new ground? (For context, we get a lot of readers who message us saying they don't want to leave OT)
No. And that will be the end of my time as a season-ticket holder. I’ll still go with my son and daughter, but having visited other clubs in their new grounds, I know it’s not the same. Once that move happens, everything changes. It’ll be my time to say thanks for the memories, and I think it’ll be the right time for me.
I just know I’ll sit in the new place, be offered popcorn by some robot and have another robot offering me a beer, and I’ll probably cry. So what’s the point? We know they don’t really want people like us there. The tourist money counts, so with good grace I’ll accept that, like everything in life, things change, and not always for the better.
I’ll remain with Manchester United because this club has been part of my life for as long as I can remember, but the way I follow them will reflect what Old Trafford has always meant to me. It was home. I know plenty won’t agree with me, and my mates certainly don’t, but I’ve debated this with myself for nearly two years now and I know it’s the right decision for me.
Maybe I'll start taking the kids to watch the women's team?
How long have you been sat/stood in K Stand?
Since 1992/1993. What a journey it has been The lovely aspect of this part of the ground is so many are still the same, been there years, so we have a great lot around each other.
What's been your favourite memory in this part of the ground?
The Sheffield Wednesday game 92/93. Steve Bruce, what a man. After that, I'd probably say the Roma game in 2007. The ground was bouncing that night.
Special mention to city in the FA Cup in 2004 and also the K Stand Barmy Army party before we won the lifted the league title in 1994.
Thoughts on the current ownership situation?
Where to even start? We've been protesting since 2005 and the whole thing is a complete mess. I gave FC United of Manchester a go for a while and it was great but it's just not the same. A good idea but they've had as many issues off the pitch as United have.
Ratcliffe is horrible and his political views are abhorrent (I say this as a left leaning trade unionist). However, the alternative is what, state ownership? That would also be horrible. We can't moan the politics and ethics of "Sir Jim" if we're all willing to accept the club being used as a sportswashing exercise.


Comments
Post a Comment